Monday, August 25, 2014

Cycle 3 Geography Cards -- States and Capitals

In a few short days, we will be starting our second year of Classical Conversations.  Last year, I was a substitute tutor and my son was the only one of my children in Foundations, as the girls were in preschool. This year, all 3 of the older kids will be in Foundations and I will be the girls' tutor.

The talented Melody Stroud made some beautiful Geography cards for Cycle 2 that I just loved.  I was hoping she'd make some this year for Cycle 3, but that wasn't her plan so she graciously passed the torch to me. Melody had been passed the torch from Crecia at Taking It One Day at a Time who was the creator of these Cycle 1 cards.

I debated for a while about how exactly to choose the photos for the cards. I thought it might get boring to use only pictures of the state capitals. So while some of the cards show a photo of a landmark in the state capital, or the capital's skyline, many of the cards show God's creation, rather than Man's. I have also used well-known landmarks from other cities for particular states, such as NY. My goal was not to be perfectly "correct" but instead to create visually pleasing cards. I'm a visual learner so I used the pictures that I liked the best. If you choose to use these cards, it would be wise to explain to your children that not all of the pictures will be of the state capital to avoid confusion.

Whew! With that out of the way, here are the cards for weeks 1-6. I hope you enjoy them! I'll post weeks 7-12 soon.



17 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for doing these! They are beautiful!
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! Such a great way to study on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be making cards for weeks 7-12? We are enjoying the first batch. thanks for making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a CC mom ask if you had 7-12 finished. We were wondering too. We are LOVING them for review! :) Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm working on 7-12. I have 7-10 finished, just have to get those last 2 weeks done. We've had a lot of difficult stuff going on at our house lately, so I've been in survival mode. But I'll try to get them done soon -- maybe this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - Thank you for the cycle 3 geo cards - I am hoping you'll be able to post cards for Weeks 19-24. I went to One Day at a Time for the Cycle 1 cards and none of the links are working. Could you advise? Thank you! CC Mom and Missouri :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi CC Mom in Missouri! I am planning on making the week 19-24 cards. I just haven't sat down to do it yet. This is our break week (we just completed week 18) so I will likely be making them this weekend. As for the Cycle 1 Cards, I'll have to check the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I checked her links and it looks like she's removed them. :( That is too bad! I guess I have another summer project lined up, then! I'm not sure if I'll make map cards, but I could do picture cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you usually print them on card stock? Appreciate them and your hard work on these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you usually print them on card stock? Appreciate them and your hard work on these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually print them on card stock and then use contact paper to laminate. I punch a hole in the bottom left corner and put them on book rings. Hope that helps. :) You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks! Lots of visual learners in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! Thank you so much....looking forward to the next set

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Love the geography notecards you created for the updated cycle one 5th edition. I was wondering if you will be doing the updated cycle 2?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love your beautiful cards and appreciate going beyond the name and seeing a snapshot of the place!
    I too was wondering if you have Cycle 2 Cards?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you have a link for weeks 7-12

    ReplyDelete