Saturday, March 28, 2015

Peppermint Swirl Dress

Almost everyone who knows me personally knows that I love to sew. My mom used to make beautiful dresses for me when I was little and she started teaching me to sew when I was about 7 or 8 years old. Now that I have two little girls of my own to make dresses for, I put my sewing skills to good use quite often.

I saw the pattern for this dress online and just fell in love. It's so deliciously twirly! You can buy the PDF and see several beautiful versions of this dress here.

One of my daughters is always coming downstairs dressed in a pink shirt and red pants, or a pink skirt and a red shirt. She loves pairing pink and red. While I don't mind what she wears around the house, if we're going somewhere with the expectation that we look halfway put-together, I try to help her find something that matches a bit better than pink and red. So when I was at the fabric store choosing fabrics for this dress, I decided that I'd find a way to make it pink and red for my little miss.

This pattern comes as a PDF download including sizes 6 months - 10 years. Cutting out all the pieces (the skirt itself has 28 pieces and I had two dresses!) took awhile, but I was able to stack the fabric and cut through 4 layers at a time, so that helped. I did most of the sewing on my serger, and it honestly went pretty quickly. I absolutely adore the end result and I can't wait to use this pattern again.

Little Miss approves.

2 comments:

  1. Do I need a serger for this dress, or can I use a very basic sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need a serger, but it does make sewing the dress easier.

    ReplyDelete