Friday, May 24, 2013

Always be prepared

I made it to Day 5 of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge without anything very interesting happening.  Today was a little different.  I was rushing around last night getting everything ready for our trip to the aquarium and I didn't wash all of yesterday's diapers.  This morning I had the realization that I probably didn't have enough to last all day and since I'd be gone and couldn't wash during the day, we might have a bit of a problem.  Ooops.

So when I packed the diaper bag this morning, I threw in a dish towel, just in case.  That's right.  A striped dish towel.  For the 2 hour trip in the car on the way there, he just wore 2 flats.  When we got there, I wasn't sure about how often I'd be changing him so I put him in a pocket stuffed with a doubler and 2 flats.  This lasted just fine while we were there.  

I put another 2 flats on him for the ride home (which ended up being almost 3 hours because we hit horrible rush hour traffic) which left me with ONE clean flat.  We had to head straight to my older son's soccer game so my poor little guy had to get through an hour of soccer and then supper in that one flat.  

After we finished eating, I quickly washed his nighttime flats and was ironing them to get them dry when the little guy pointed to his diaper and said, "Eee-yew."  Sure enough, he had pooped.  So he got to run around naked while I finished my ironing.  He promptly peed on the floor twice.  Silly kid.  Thank goodness for tile floor!

So today's question from Dirty Diaper Laundry is: What is working?  For me, the flats and handwashing are working just fine.  Flats are absorbant enough even for overnight, something I was not expecting.  Handwashing does take more time, but it's doable.  I like how trim the flats are.  I love my soft, cushy prefolds, but they are so bulky!  I'm not loving the air drying.  I do dry my prefolds on the line when the weather is nice, but I have enough prefolds to get me through a few days and I can always throw them in the dryer if they're not dry when I need them.  I think the real problem is just that I don't have enough flats to really make it work well.  If I had another 5-10, I'd be fine and I wouldn't be ironing diapers because I don't have any dry ones.  So if we do go camping I'll probably get another dozen.  

Flats take longer to change than pockets.  I've used prefolds with him since he was a newborn, but once he hit the stage where he fights diaper changes, I started using pockets stuffed with prefolds.  They're so much faster to get on.  Especially when he's doing his alligator death roll, I need a diaper that can be put on in seconds!  That's one of the things I like about the g-Pants.  Since they velcro, they're faster than snaps and I can still get them on mid-roll because they velcro in the back instead of the front. 

I have to admit, I was really temped to cheat today.  I mean, who would have known if I had thrown the diapers in the dryer tonight before I gave him his bath?  Who would have known if I had just put a prefold on him for bed?  I would have, and that's what really matters.  So while I was tempted, I didn't cheat.  His flats may not have been 100% dry tonight when he went to bed, but he was wearing flats.  

The aquarium was great.  The kids loved it and the hubby and I are exhausted.  Before I head to bed, I'm going to make sure I have clean diapers to change him into when he wakes up.  
The kiddos looking at the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment