Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Last Day

Today is the last day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge!  This week went by really fast.  As I was handwashing a bunch of flats this morning in the bathroom sink, it hit me that today was the last day!  I feel fortunate -- other than my under-preparedness the day of the aquarium and a few leaks yesterday, the week was very uneventful.  

So what did I learn?  Firstly, to be prepared.  If I had been more prepared, I wouldn't have been scrambling to dry diapers with the iron on Friday night.  

Secondly, make sure to have enough diapers to get through 2 days.  I don't, so that means that I HAD to wash every day.  So what if the water is shut off (happened to us once -- hubby paid the electric twice and didn't pay the water by mistake) or you have some emergency that keeps you from washing?  Just makes sense to have enough diapers and covers to last 2 days.  

I think finding a routine that works for you is helpful, too.  Washing after every diaper change was too often for me.  Washing once a day wasn't enough.  The last 2 days I washed first thing in the morning and at lunch. That seemed to work well.  I had enough diapers to get me through the day and the early part of the next morning that way.  I washed at a time when the kids were busy eating so I wasn't being interrupted every few seconds while washing.  So it worked.

I also learned that the little guy doesn't need as much absorbency as I thought he did.  We got along fine with just 2 flats.  I used to put him to bed at night with 2 prefolds and a hemp doubler.  The poor kid had a huge bubble butt!  While he did wake up soaked with the flats, we both survived.  He did fine with a lot less diaper in there. 

It was a little strange to put him to bed tonight in a hybrid fitted (homemade) instead of flats, but I am looking forward to using my washer and dryer again.  I also need to find or make a new wetbag.  The zipper on mine jammed on Friday.  Does anyone have a favorite brand I should look into?


I don't know if I'll take this challenge again next year or not.  He will be over 2 so we may be in undies by then.  My twins potty learned on their own at 23 and 25 months.  If he is still in diapers then I probably will do the challenge again but who knows?  A year is a long time.  So we'll see!  


Hello washer, did you miss the diapers?

No comments:

Post a Comment