Monday, May 20, 2013

Homemade Elderberry Syrup

I've been meaning to make this for awhile.  Elderberry syrup from the health food store is very expensive so I decided to make my own.  I pinned this post on Pinterest months ago but I had trouble getting the ingredients.  I was finally able to order the dried elderberries from Frontier, get some raw, local honey from a friend and since my throat felt sore this morning, I decided today was the day!  It wasn't very labor intensive to make, but it was messy.  I didn't have cheesecloth so I used a strainer instead.  I also ended up using more honey than the 1 cup the recipe calls for as mine was pretty runny and I wanted it a bit thicker.  The end result was pretty good!  It's got a spicy flavor to it, but not too strong and the kids liked it.  Hopefully it will help keep this family free from colds!

No comments:

Post a Comment